This recipe makes a great holiday appetizer, or vegetarian main course. Just substitute vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can use either fresh or dried mushrooms, homemade or store bought puff pastry, goat cheese or your favorite strong flavored cheese, champagne or white wine–the recipe is very adaptable.
Assorted mushrooms (I used a blend of wild mushrooms, shitake, portobello, cremini, oyster, etc) roughly chopped to make about 3 to 4 cups
1 small yellow onion, sliced thinly
2 shallots, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, roughly minced
5 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tsp thyme
1 cup chicken (or vegetable) broth
1 cup champagne
4 oz truffle goat cheese (or reg goat cheese and 1 tsp truffle oil)
2 sheets puff pastry
Salt and pepper
1. Caramelize the onions and shallots in olive oil (approx 40 min on low heat).
2. Add garlic and mushrooms and sauté until cooked. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3. Deglaze the pan with champagne, then add thyme and reduce by half.
4. Remove thyme sprigs, if you didn’t separate the leaves. Add the mushroom and onion mixture back in the pan along with 1 cup chicken broth. Reduce by half.
5. Remove from heat and stir in 2 oz goat cheese.
6. Roll out puff pastry layering one sheet on top of the other to make an 8 pointed star. Place on parchment paper covered cookie sheet or pizza stone.
7. Spoon mushroom mixture onto pastry then crumble remaining goat cheese over the top along with additional thyme leaves.
8. Fold edges of pastry over.
9. Bake at 400 for approx 30 min